Saturday, February 10, 2007

Signing

I recently decided to start using some sign language while interacting with and talking to Ava. I figured if she picks it up maybe she can start to tell me when she doesn't feel good. I read that as early as 6 to 9 months babies have the capacity to learn and use basic sign language so I figured we'd give it a try and if nothing ever came of it, no big deal.

I started with just a few signs so I wouldn't overwhelm or confuse her and only I use them in natural conversation paired with the appropriate word. We started out with "Hi" and "Bye bye," then moved on to "milk," "eat" and "finished." Ava caught on to "hi" and "bye" easily. I could tell she understood "milk" but she was still learning to use her hands and fingers to do it. Today she started signing it to me!

I was pretty surprised at first, but then realized that she was in fact doing it because every time she signed it it was around the natural time she would nurse or get a bottle. When Ava gets a bottle she likes to take breaks, but even after a break she would sign "milk" and let me know she was ready for more. I think it's been great for her self-esteem. As soon as she signs and I get her what she wants she gets the biggest smile on her face. She may also be doing her own version of "eat" but I'm not positive yet.

I rememeber a lot of the basic signs from when I worked with developmentally disabled children, but went online to refresh on a few. This all started when Ava was getting sick so much and I wished she could tell me when she didn't feel good before things got so bad. Maybe eventually she'll be able to but if not, we haven't lost anything in the process.

1 comments:

Jennifer Walker said...

That's so great. Ava and Jack will need to get together to sign with each other. MILK was Jack's first sign. His favorite now is MORE.