Monday, February 13, 2006

OB Visit

Twenty-four and half weeks and measuring just that. The sweet sound of the babies heartbeat gets stronger and stronger each time I hear it in the doctor's office. I've told Dr. Gallaspy my wishes to have an unmedicated birth and he says both he and the hospital staff will work with me, but he also advised me not to feel bad if I change my mind.

While pre-registering for childbirth classes the other day I had a lengthy conversation with a woman in maternity services who told me that now they see at least 98% of women using epidurals and other forms of medication. I've been working on a birth plan that I plan to give to my doctor and the medical staff that outlines my wishes for labor and delivery. I figure if I'm in the minority by that much its just routine for them to stick with me needles and medication, put me on a IV and use continuous fetal monitoring - all of which I know to be unnecessary unless there are complications. They may not like my birth plan or that I even have one but I'm the one having the baby, my body knows how to give birth and is built with natural labor-inducing mechanisms and pain inhibitors so they'll just have to deal with my stubbornness.

At my next appointment I have to be screened for gestational diabetes...which translates to - I have to drink a really sweet liquid and they prick my finger an hour later. They'll also do another ultrasound as a courtesy sneak peek to make sure its a girl. I guess if it's not this will give us time to exchange the bedding.

0 comments: