Friday, August 03, 2007

Sciatic Nerve Pain

Most days I enjoy being pregnant, the last two days...not quite as much to be truthful. Unfortunately this little one has decided to plop down on my sciatic nerve which results in severe pain shooting from my butt all the way down my left leg and to my left foot. Yesterday, it hit me so bad at one point I couldn't even walk. Poor Ava had no idea why her mommy couldn't get down to play with her or pick her up. I spoke to a nurse from Dr. Gallaspy's office about it and other than changing positions and using pillows at night to distribute my baby weight differently there is not much I can do about it and I'll probably see more of it until our little bundle of joy arrives.


I've heard that some women who have sciatic nerve pain also end up having back labor...the nurse seems to think that if the baby is already in this position chances are good that back labor is in my future. I figure there are far worse things I could be going through (but since I've never had back labor before I could be eating those words come October). For now this gives me even more reason to do my Yoga....the cat-cow moves are supposed to be good for relieving the pressure. Of course this could get interesting if I have to do these moves at work just to get through the day...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, if it's not your gallbladder it's your sciatic nerve! What a bummer. I've never felt it, but I've heard how painful it is from a friend of mine. I hope those poses help relieve it some! I really hope you don't have back labor either! I did with Justin, and I thought the kid was going to kill me. Not to put the fear of God in you about it or anything...but you know the pain childbirth brings, especially done naturally. To be honest, I had both boys naturally, no pain meds, no nothing, and Kyle was a walk in the park compared to Justin. It's a totally different beast with back labor. Hopefully you won't have to deal with any of that, and I think it's better to have an idea of what to expect anyway. If you're like me, you work it up to be worse than it actually is, so you are pleasantly surprised by how it is in reality. I have Dr.O to thank for that...he scared the hell out of me with talk of how painful natural childbirth is, so when it came down to brass tacks, it wasn't as bad as I had myself worked up to think it would be. Gotta love the psychology of it all! Anyway, I hope your sciatica doesn't worsen over the next few months. Love ya!