Monday, August 20, 2007

Hot Hot Hot

As mentioned in my previous post - our air conditioner is no longer working. If anyone has had the chance to experience a typical day in Mobile in August you know it's hot. Not just hot, but really HOT and humid. The lake effect humidity in Michigan has nothing on the humidity of the deep south. For example, temps this past week have been in the high 90's with the heat index well over 100 each day and heat adviseries every day that I was able to check until at least 7:00pm. Humidity was 65-70% without a drop of rain in sight.

I never imagined I'd be about 8 months pregnant and not have air conditioning during the hottest part of the summer. When you're used to something like AC you really miss it when it's gone. The good news is our home warranty covers the brunt of the cost and Ava is a real trooper and could care less. The bad news is we called LAST MONDAY about the problem and it's still not fixed. The part is being shipped out and is supposed to arrive this Wednesday which means the AC company may not get to us until Thursday or Friday. One person said they were shipping a new coil another person said they were sending a new unit...I wish someone had their head on straight - maybe then we'd have AC back in a timely fashion (Yes, I'm a little grouchy about it).

Daddy and Ava attempting to cool off in front of a fan. Ava has been running around in a diaper and sleeping in just a diaper too.

It started out that we could use our air conditioner it just wasn't cooling very well or efficiently...the AC guy came to inspect, added some refrigerant and now the darn thing won't work at all. Last night it was 84 degrees in the house around dinner time so I actually made dinner using only the microwave and grill to minimize heat build up. By the time I went to bed it was 85 degrees and when I woke up it was cooler outside than in our house.

THIS STINKS!

Thanks again to those that let us drop by this weekend to get some relief from the heat.

1 comments:

Jennifer Walker said...

Oh my gosh. I can soooooo relate. I was 32 weeks pregnant during Hurricane Katrina and we didn't have a generator. I spent the first night at home with the windows open and it was still breezy that night. The next night was awful! The air was so still and hot that it was hard to breathe. We left to spend a couple of nights at the station and with friends until our power came back.

Side note...since the temps have hit 100, our old house gets so hot in the afternoons even with our air running non-stop. Our AC can't keep up with this heat, but I can't imagine not having one at all!

Let me know if y'all need to stop by for some relief.