Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mardi Gras

I would've loved to take Ava down to some of the Mardi Gras parades this year. She loves to watch people and I'm a big fan of exposing children to new things especially those that I never had a chance to experience growing up. She had a great time at the International Festival earlier this year so I know she would've loved the parade floats. And, while there are some drunk people at Mardi Gras there are also many sober people too and tons of children. We also know some people who had a huge fenced in area right off the parade route so if things were ever to get overwhelming or rowdy we could've hung out there away from everyone. Seeing all the other little kids down there would've made her so happy I'm sure, but overall it's been too cold when we might've been able to take her and Ava is still showing sensitivity to loud noises. As long as exposure to loud noises such as marching bands isn't a regular thing there'd be no threat of damaging Ava's hearing, but lately if I sneeze or if we're putting up dishes or something Ava cries from the loud noise so at least this time around - I don't think she would've enjoyed the bands and yelling crowds that are all part of Mardi Gras. Maybe next year.

I managed to get to one parade this year with Jasen while Grandma Lingle watched Ava. Poor baby ended up running a slight fever and didn't want to eat or nap so I left the first chance I got. She refused to eat or drink anything until I finally got her to take a little bit of gatorade with a spoon (She refuses pedialyte so the pediatrician said to try gatorade). If her fever comes back, gets worse or we run into more instances of refusing anything by mouth we'll have to bring her back to the pediatrician...For now we make sure she at least gets some fluids and alternate Tylenol and Motrin as needed for any fever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Miss Ava needs a hug. Give her a big one from her Auntie Katee. I hope she gets feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Initially I thought her fever might have something to do with teething but when it continued to climb I looked it up and talked to a nurse. Turns out, a "low-grade" temp doesn't usually go over 101. Her fever topped out at 102, plus she had all those other cold symptoms. It was short-lived though so that's good.