Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Babies Need to Suck

I was hoping we wouldn't have to use a pacifier, but our daughter seems to be one of those babies that needs to suck for the sake of sucking. Blankets and other items don't seem to comfort her the way sucking does. I don't think I ever sucked my thumb or anything but I think Jasen did so maybe that's where it comes from. Occasionally Ava will find her hands and pacify herself that way but she hasn't quite got the control of her hands/arms that she needs to avoid becoming frustrated.

I gave Ava a pacifier the other day as she struggled to fall asleep...within seconds she calmed down and fell asleep. I definitely don't want to be one of those mothers that "plugs" their child all day long or whenever she cries, but from time to time I think we may have to use one. We'll just have to find a balance and then wean her off of it early so it doesn't become an issue later. Besides, thumb sucking is supposedly worse because it can lead to more problems with teeth than an orthodontic pacifier and can be harder to stop - how do you take something away from a child that belongs to them and is attached to them?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't woory too much about using a pacifier. Some babies just need to suck. Justin needed a pacifier, and Kyle hated the things. Kyle needed to have something soft in his hands instead, usually it was my hair.
This may sound strange...but Kyle is artistic, has great hand eye coordination, and even talks with his hands. Justin, on the other hand, is more verbal, he talks way more than Kyle does, is more vocal in class, and expresses himself verbally better.
Makes me wonder about their chosen methods of soothing as babies!