
Around 9:00 pm, May 29th, as I was watching TV and after I felt what I thought could've been my water leaking I started having contractions. Initially I thought I might be able to rest in between contractions but they were 8-10 minutes apart and uncomfortable enough to keep me from sleeping. Jasen was able to get some rest and I resorted to the living room watching the food network of all things. At 2:30am things were still progressing and the contractions still coming. I woke Jasen and called the Dr. on call who told me I could come to the hospital then depending on how uncomfortable I was or wait til the contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. We waited and by 8:00am were headed to the hospital with contractions 4 minutes apart.
Bumps in the road, contractions and sitting upright in the car did not mix well. This of course was nothing compared to what was ahead. By the time we got to the hospital I had already been in labor 11 hours, I thought it couldn't possibly be too much longer so I was surprised when Dr. Gallaspy told me I wasn't quite 3cm yet. They confirmed my water had broken and from my account of things suspected it was just before 9:00pm the night before that it happened. I was able to walk around the room and change positions at will just as specified in my birth plan but at 4cm things stalled somewhat. Dr. Gallaspy explained that because my water had broken so long ago there was risk of infection to the baby and suggested we speed things up with pitocin. Originally I didn't want this, but with the risk of infection it wasn't about me anymore.
Once pitocin was given I knew I'd be bound to the bed for monitoring purposes but they agreed to let me up to use the restroom, which apparently they don't normally do so I was grateful. I was still able to change positions as much as I wanted but there were fewer to choose from now. Although we brought the video camera we never used it during labor. Jasen was so busy being my support system there wasn't room for holding a camcorder too. The experience is burned in memory for sure though. There was even laughter duing labor...after every contraction I had one large hiccup. The nurse suspected the baby was pushing on my diaphragm but at some point we were all laughing about it. At 7-8cm there was no more laughter. I was exhausted and questioning my capability to pull through with a natural birth.
In between contractions Jasen gave me a pep talk and I knew he was right so we pushed forward. I couldn't have done it without Jasen by my side. Just before I was fully dilated to 10cm my body took over for me. At some point my vision had transformed to tunnel vision. I literally had absolutely no peripheral vision. Poor Jasen...everytime he had to move out of the way for the nurse and stepped out of my narrow tunnel vision I would get on to him in a not-so-nice tone of voice and tell him to stop leaving me. Surprisingly, I never uttered a swear word or completely lost it but Jasen's hand may have some bruising. When it was time to push, my body did it without me even having to think about it. It was amazing. Three pushes and Ava Sharon Lingle entered the world May 30th at 7:54pm weighing 7lbs. 6oz and measuring exactly 20 inches. She is absolutely perfect! 23 long hours of labor and so worth it - without question I'd do it all over again.
Ava scored a 9 on the first APGAR test and a 10 at the second. We were told by several nurses as well as Dr. Gallaspy that they rarely see a 10!
After delivery, hospital policy is to let the father walk the baby to be weighed and measured in the nursery while mother recovers, lets the epidural wear off and is monitored in the room. But because I had no epidural I was alert and able to walk after delivery so they let me go as well. They quickly checked my vitals and asked that I sit in a wheelchair just in case I got lightheaded or something. Even grandma and grandpa Lingle got to attend the weigh in. We came back later for the first bath. Although we requested the first bath be in the room so I could watch (for the same reasons as above - the mother doesn't usually go for the first bath.) I again was able to participate thanks to going natural. Ava loved the water cascading over her head but threw a fit when they wiped her down everywere else.
Ava, myself and Jasen are home and doing great. Even our dog Kaila is adjusting well. Everytime Ava cries Kaila goes to her or follows us around if we're holding her. She even "kissed" the back of her head within an hour of meeting her. We'll post pictures when we have the chance.
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Ava's Arrival (39 Weeks + 3 Days)
at 7:27 PM


0 comments:
Post a Comment