Still on track to potentially have our baby early. Doctors can be wrong so we'll see. Our baby is even lower than she was last week so I'm definitely feeling the pressure, I've dilated some more and am 80% effaced (thinned). All normal for a first-timer.
Dr. Gallaspy approved my birth plan yesterday. He would've done it last week but we were all preoccuppied with finding out whether the baby was breech or not. Here's a look at some of the things included in my birth plan.
Labor
I would like to be free to walk around and change position at will throughout labor
I would like to be able to have clear fluids by mouth during labor (see page 6-7 of Practice Guidelines for Obstetrical Anesthesia a report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists) - this means delaying an IV until a little later.
I would like an assigned nurse who supports natural birth.
I will bring my own music and personal items to help me relax, including a birth ball.
Monitoring
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my baby.
Intermittent fetal monitoring may be used. (This is so I can walk and move around - I will be monitored while in bed though.)
Labor Augmentation/Induction
I would like the amniotic membrane to rupture naturally.
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) to induce labor. If pitocin must be used I will be given less than the normal initial amount or half dose.
Pain Management
I do not want pain medication.
Delivery
I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
I would like a mirror available.
I would like the room lights turned low and the room as quiet as possible for the actual delivery.
I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
Baby is to be examined and bathed in my presence in the room.
The evaluation of my baby is to be done with my baby on my abdomen, unless there is an unusual situation.
If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany her at all times.
I would prefer to hold my baby skin-to-skin rather than have her placed in a warmer.
Eye medication is to be delayed for my baby until we’ve had a chance to bond and breastfeed.
Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Bottles are not to be given to my baby.
I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.
I would like to meet with a Lactation Consultant.
Postpartum
I do not wish to be separated from my baby and would like to have my baby 'room in' with me.
Copies of my full birth plan have been sent over to labor and delivery, the nurse manager has a copy as does the pediatrician so I'm sure they'll know exactly who we are when we arrive.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
OB Visit
at 6:43 AM


0 comments:
Post a Comment