We had our last birthing class tonight and at the end got to tour the hospital. Every other class the instructor repeated herself a lot so Jasen and I both wished the tour was at the beginning of the class so we could just leave. We feel we learned what we needed from the natural coping class (different instructor) but she did give us some info about postpartum so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
The hospital tour helped us to familiarize ourselves, but of course the best part was looking in on the nursery. There was only one little baby there at the time but he was so adorable and so small. I found, myself rubbing my belly and daydreaming about our baby girl.
During the tour the instructor showed us a labor and delivery room. There was not a shower in the room so I asked if any of the labor/delivery rooms were equipped with a shower...as long as the amniotic sac has not broken taking a shower or warm bath during labor is a means of relaxation for natural birth. The instructor actually told me "when you're in labor, you're in labor." As if that answered the question. I couldn't help myself...and said "well, yeah." I didn't mean for it to sound like "duh" but it probably did. I explained why I wanted to know and finally she said no. I'm still not sure why a postpartum nurse is teaching a birthing class but whatever.
Yet another reason I will be using the 4-1-1 rule during labor. As long as there are no complications and my water doesn't break I will not be going to the hospital until my contractions are 4 minutes apart, last a minute and have been doing so for an hour. This way I can labor how I want to until things get really rough and I need to be at the hospital.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Hospital Tour
at 9:17 PM


0 comments:
Post a Comment