Monday, April 10, 2006

Birthing Ball

Jasen and I picked up a birthing ball the other day. It's really the same thing as an exercise ball but I'll be sitting on it during pregnancy to encourage good posture, which gives the baby more room. I'll also be using it during labor with techniques to encourage the baby to move down the birth canal and to help me find different positions to deal with labor. I've also been practicing deep relaxation techniques and will be bringing some music, a rice sock, tennis balls for massage and a few other items to the hospital to help relax and distract during contractions.

Dr. Gallaspy has said this will not be a problem. It was recommended that I speak with the nurse manager at the hospital about my wishes for a natural birth in hopes that she can help pave the way by giving others a "heads up" and if possible assigning a nurse that is comfortable with natural birth. I'm currently playing phone tag with the nurse manager so we'll see what she has to say. Jasen is very supportive of this decision and has also been learning techniques to help me during labor. He'll be a busy man between videotaping and assisting me. He's such a sweetheart.

0 comments: