At least five or six people at my office have been sick this past week with the flu. I tried not to be around my sick co-workers as much as possible but today started feeling crummy. I called my OB and there's not much they can do. They gave me a laundry list of over-the-counter medicines that I could take if needed but they would only treat the symptoms. None will make the flu go away any faster.
Because pregnancy weakens the immune system, I'm considered high-risk for complications. The doctor was sure to tell me to monitor my mucus. If it turns a funky color then things have taken a terrible turn and I'd need antibiotics and possible hospitalization for pneumonia. I'm also supposed to push the fluids and watch for fever so that I don't become dehydrated. If I become dehydrated that's another reason they would want to hospitalize me. Apparently dehydration can cause pre-term labor and delivery... I'm glad I asked questions but they sure do know how to scare the crap out of you!
The baby is fine and am I'm doing whatever I can to try to minimize complications but this really stinks.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Flu Bug
at 6:56 PM


0 comments:
Post a Comment