Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sneak Peek

Yesterday I had an appointment with my OB Dr. Gallaspy and he scared the crap out of me. I've gained 2.5 pounds since the last appointment. I have no idea how much I've gained overall from day one. That's not what scared me. The doctor listened for the heartbeat with the doppler on my abdomen and after at least 5 minutes of searching for a heartbeat he still couldn't find it. I asked him to keep trying but nothing. He then suggested I come by in the morning for an ultrasound, just as a sneak peek to reassure me that everything was fine. I was trying not to let it get to me but come on - all of sudden you can't find my baby's heartbeat! I agreed to come back for the ultrasound after he told me possible reasons why we couldn't hear it.

Then they had to take some blood. ..Well that ended quickly because I almost passed out! That has NEVER happened to me before. I've donated a pint of blood before and wasn't even the slightest woozy. This was just five small viles. With two nurses around me, one fanning me and one holding a cold cloth on my neck, I sat there with my head between my legs and the world doing that thing where everything starts to fade to black. Technically I didn't pass out but I sure scared the nurses. By the time I got home I was an emotional mess. Classic pregnant woman upset I'm sure. When Jasen got home he was optimistic so that helped calm me down enough to get a good night's sleep.

The good news is we got an early ultrasound!! Here's baby Lingle at just under 13 weeks. Happy to report we saw the heartbeat clear as day and everything is fine. Our baby is about 2 and 1/4 inches long already! We saw him or her dance around, saw arms, legs, a hand, spine, head, etc. Very exciting! Baby Lingle even turned around while we were looking in. They tried to look for anything suspicious between the legs but baby Lingle was modest and wouldn't open his or her legs. It was probably too early anyway. The ultrasound tech joked that we might be looking up to our child one day because the legs are already looking long. I guess those genes come from grandpa Lingle.

The ultrasound image shows the profile of baby Lingle. He or she has a hand above the head as if to say, "I'm cool mommy, just chill, everything's fine."

Thank God!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love, love, love the pictures!! How neat that I'm in Michigan you're in Alabama and I get to see the ultrasound, Yippee!
What a scare...I'm so glad it was nothing. You must be relieved, to say the least!