Ava is officially off bottles! It took a little while with having to mix formula and milk to get her to accept whole milk. She still throws a temper tantrum first thing in the morning because she wants a bottle, but every day is a little better than the last. She's supposed to get a minimum of 18 ounces of milk a day at this age (according to her pediatrician). That would be no problem if she had her way and had it in a bottle. It's a challenge with a cup. I think she'll come around, plus other calcium containing foods can help meet that requirement too.
I figure we have about five months before we'll need to bring the bottles back out for Ava's little sister to get used to before her daycare debut. That may be a struggle for Ava to see...
Dr. Roberts also recommends an infant multivitamin at Ava's age. She eats well both in variety and amount, but since she's not too fond of milk we figured we'd better try it. What a joke! It is the most disgusting smelling liquid. Apparantly it tastes about as good as it smells because Ava spits it all out. And, since it contains iron it stains her clothes and her face, her neck...whatever it touches. Fun stuff. Finally I called the pediatrician and asked for an alternative. I just don't see the point when hardly nothing is making it in her mouth and staying there. Per doctors orders we switched to cutting a Flintstone toddler vitamin in half and crushing it into powder for her. Who doesn't like Flintstones vitamins!? From what I remember of Flintstones vitamins, as a powder it probably tastes like pixie stix!
Thursday, June 28, 2007
No More Bottles
at 10:51 PM


3 comments:
Ahh, Flintstones vitamins...If they keep getting the doctor's nod we might end paying pharmacy co-pays soon! I was told to take them during pregnancy when my prenatals made me sick every time I took them, looked at them or smelled them. They are full of sugar so be careful with Ava's teeth, brush, brush, brush. That's the only thing I hated about them...but to get kids to take them, they gotta taste good.
The good news is MOST of the time Ava loves brushing her teeth so I'm not too worried about it. I figure half a vitamin is nothing compared to the amount of junk I hear and see some people allow their toddlers to eat. She gets a sugary treat once in awhile but for the most part I personally think if you introduce too many sweets as a toddler you're setting yourself up for a picky eater or junk food eater - not something I want to promote. Moderation - yes, even at Grandma's house :)
Boy you are lucky if you can enforce that at Grandma's house! We try...but it falls on deaf ears. Luckily Justin could take or leave sweets. He'll get a Dairy Queen, eat 4 or 5 bites and put it in the freezer for the next day. I love that! Kyle is my junk food eater. If it's not good for you, he wants it all the time. If he's not active, he gets a litlle belly. Basketball during school helped and Baseball now is wonderful for him. I've started getting the boys up with me in the mornings now and going for a bike ride just to get us all moving as a family, not just pointing out any one of us in particular, but making it a healthy, family outing. It would kill me if he thought I was picking on him. So far it's going good, they're a little resistant to the early wake up call, but hey, 9:00am is not that early. That's sleeping in!
Post a Comment