It's never good when school (daycare) calls you at work. Today was no exception. My baby had a temperature of 102. When I got to her 10 minutes later at daycare she was worse than I had ever seen her. She could barely open her eyes and was unable to do anything but lay there. It was awful. I almost cried, one of her teachers was almost crying (we're both pregnant so I'm sure the hormones didn't help). I had called the Doctor on my way to pick her up and because we were just at the pediatrician's office the day before for blood work (see below), they then told me they thought she might have pneumonia and that we needed to go to the hospital for a chest x-ray and would possibly have to keep her there. Why they did not tell me this the day before really irked me. I had to run home to give her tylenol first and her fever had already climbed to 103.5; needless to say, all Ava could do was lie there miserably in my arms and wimper. I normally woud not post such a picture on here, but you would otherwise not understand just how awful it was. This picture doesn't even look like her.
Of course since I'm pregnant I couldn't be in the x-ray room with Ava so it was tough on all of us. The contraption they had to put Ava in to keep her still was horrible. Thank God Daddy was there!
The good news is it's not pneumonia so Ava didn't have to stay in the hospital. The bad news is they don't know what it is so she's on two different antibiotics to knock "it" out and prevent something like pneumonia (she's literally had a congested cough for over a month and nothing - no other antibiotics, bronchodilater medication, vaporizers/humidifiers, elevated mattress, etc.) nothing has worked. Ava has been happy and lively up until this point and we've been to the doctor for the same thing over and over again so this better work.
The cough has been going on so long that they had to do blood tests on her the day before to see if they could find more details. All they told me then was that the type of cough/cold she has is hard to treat because it is unresponsive to most antibiotics. To my surprise, Ava was so intrigued by the nurse prepping her big toe and singing "this little piggy" to her, that she didn't cry or even flinch when they pricked her toe and then squeezed it several times to get enough of a blood sample. She did however try to grab the blood collector tool thingy...so curious.
She's been through so much sickness for being so young; it breaks my heart. I just hope she at least never remembers all the tests and feeling miserable.
Friday, April 13, 2007
Phone Call
at 8:42 PM


0 comments:
Post a Comment