Other than taking several hours, the consultation appointment went well. It wouldn't have taken quite as long but they were fitting me in the schedule and had to wait for the referring doctor to send over the ultrasound results from back in April before the surgeon would even meet with me. They could've at least given me a magazine...I'm sitting there on the table in a cold boring room all by myself with nothing to do but look at the wall. I thought about rummaging through the cabinets and drawers to pass the time but figured that might be odd if they walked in.
So my surgery is scheduled for next Friday and sometime between now and then I'm supposed to go back to the hospital to have labs and an EKG done as part of the pre-op routine. I would've just done it today to get it over with but by the time they were finished I had to go pick up Ava.
Unless they run into anything unusual it will be an outpatient procedure and because I'm still nursing they will consider discharging me that same day (if all goes well), but then I'm supposed to be out of work for a week. I don't know how I'm going to manage that.
I'm also supposed to "pump and dump" for 24 hours after I wake up from surgery but I'm still confused about that. Women who have c-sections and even the rare few who have to have general anesthesia are allowed to breastfeed their newborns as soon as they can hold their baby...so what's the difference? I would never put Ava in any danger and I seriously doubt I'd nurse her after surgery - I haven't taken anything except a half dose of tylenol since I started nursing - but I'm still curious.
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Surgery Update
at 6:05 PM


0 comments:
Post a Comment