Saturday, December 24, 2005

Roller Coaster

While I consider myself a strong woman, this week I've felt somewhat outside myself. I expected an emotional roller coaster to some extent during pregnancy, but this week has been tough for me. Since my own mother isn't around I've found myself relying on books and magazines to try to find the good, bad and ugly that people may not necessarily talk about during pregnancy.
At first I was uneasy about posting anything about this but I realized all the emotions I'm feeling are a natural part of pregnancy even though every woman is different and experiences them to varying extent. Along with reading about a roller coaster of emotions I also found a woman may actually poop during childbirth but can opt to have an enema to avoid a potentially embarrassing situation. In an effort to keep our documentation of the pregnancy accurate and validate what I'm feeling, as you can see I decided to go ahead and write about it.

Here's a little blip I found from virtual hospital:

Emotions are common and vary in intensity during pregnancy. These emotions are often unstable and feelings of depression are not uncommon, often for no apparent reason. It is commonly believed that the mood changes in pregnancy are caused by hormonal changes. The two main hormones that play a major role in pregnancy are estrogen and progesterone. A woman's emotions are characterized by mood swings, which can range from great joy to deep despair. Frequently a woman will become tearful with little cause. When asked why she is crying, she may find it difficult or impossible to give a reason. Once its understood that this behavior is normal in pregnancy it becomes easier for others to deal with although it will be a source of stress to some extent throughout the pregnancy.

While I don't think I've been anything close to Jeckyl and Hyde between the holidays and pregnancy hormones I can honestly say I've felt great joy and a touch of sadness. And while any sadness is temporary it still makes the child within me want my mother.

0 comments: